The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), Russia’s sovereign wealth fund, and the ChemRar Group launched JV Chromis for production of antiviral drug Avifavir based on Favipiravir.
The drug proved to be highly effective against COVID-19 during the clinical trials involving I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, Lomonosov Moscow State University and other medical and academic institutions.
- According to the results of the 10 days of the clinical trials, Avifavir demonstrated safety with no new or previously unreported side effects detected;
- Median elimination of the virus took four days compared to nine days with standard therapy, according to the study;
- Efficacy of the drug is above 80%, a criterion for a drug with high antiviral activity;
- Following the first four days of treatment, 65% of the 40 patients who took Avifavir tested negative for coronavirus, which is twice as many as in the standard therapy group. By day 10, the number of patients whose tests returned negative results reached 90%;
- The body temperature of 68% of patients taking Avifavir returned to normal earlier (on the third day) than in the control group (on the sixth day).
On May 29, 2020, Avifavir received a registration certificate from the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation and became the first Russian drug approved for treatment of COVID-19 patients. On June 3, 2020, the Ministry of Health included Avifavir in the seventh edition of the guidelines for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of new coronavirus infection COVID-19.
For additional information contact:
Shipment in the Russian Federation
Phone: +7 (495) 925-30-74 ext. 503
International Partnership and Export
Телефон: +7 (495) 925-30-74 ext. 505